If you want to rejuvenate your aging skin, dermal fillers are an excellent way to achieve a youthful glow without undergoing expensive and invasive surgical procedures. Injectables can smooth out wrinkles and fine lines, enhance your facial contours, and plump up your lips giving a younger, fresher look that lasts for months.
But while the initial impact of injectables are often immediately visible after your first treatment, you’ll usually have to wait a bit longer to see the final results of your transformation. Here are some tips on what to expect post-injection, and how to ensure an effective recovery so you can look your best as soon as possible.
Why does it take time for dermal fillers to settle?
There are several reasons why it takes time for dermal fillers to “settle” into place. Some fillers, like Juvederm, are gel-like substances made with hyaluronic acid. Once injected into the skin, they begin to break down and integrate into dermal tissue, binding to water molecules and hydrating the skin from the inside out. This process can take several days, and in some cases weeks, but the result is natural, plumper looking skin.
Furthermore, many dermal fillers can cause minor bruising and swelling at the site of the injection, leaving the skin feeling firm and full. This is a common side effect, and usually clears up within a few days, as the filler fully integrates with the architecture of your skin. When the swelling goes down, you’ll be able to see the final outcome of your treatment.
How long does it take to see the final results of dermal fillers?
Different fillers take different times to settle, and the results are vary from person to person, depending on how the individual’s body responds to the injection. In general, here’s what you can expect from some of the most popular dermal fillers:
- Juvederm – Used to reduce the appearance of facial lines and wrinkles, Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid-based injectable. While treatment creates instant volume, final results can take up to two weeks.
- Restylane – Also made of hyaluronic acid, Restylane can correct moderate to severe facial folds, as well as plump up your lips. It can take up to two weeks for the product to fully settle in.
- Radiesse – Radiesse can create a younger appearance on both your face and your hands, providing immediate results, while encouraging your body to produce collagen for up to a year. Usually, it takes between one and two weeks for the treatment areas to settle.
- Sculptra – A powerful collagen stimulator, Sculptra can take up to 4-6 months to yield final results, but the wait is well worth it, considering the effects can last for up to three years.
- Botox – Botox works by reducing the underlying muscle activity that causes wrinkles around your eyes or along your forehead. It can take between five and seven days for the injection to take effect, with final results visible within ten to fourteen days.
Tips for improving dermal filler recovery time
While there’s no way to speed up your body’s natural healing process, there are a few things you can do to encourage a smooth and healthy recovery, and look your absolute best.
- Limit exercise – It’s important to remain active, but don’t overdo it with rigorous activity until at least three days after your injection.
- Avoid alcohol – Alcohol consumption can increase bruising and swelling, and disrupt your body’s healing process.
- Avoid sun exposure – UV rays can degrade the hyaluronic acid contained in many dermal fillers, so if you’re outside, it’s important to cover up with sunscreen and a shady hat.
If you’ve received aftercare instructions from your provider, make sure you follow them exactly.
Refresh your look with dermal fillers from San Diego Cosmetic Laser Clinic
At San Diego Cosmetic Laser Clinic, we’re passionate about making you look, and, feel your very best. Whether you want a natural rejuvenation or a dramatic transformation, we can help you achieve your aesthetic goals with a variety of dermal fillers and injectables. Call us at (619) 583-7555 to schedule a consultation.